Professor Atkinson began his professional mathematical career at the University of Southern California in the fall of 1980 upon receiving his Ph.D. in mathematics the preceding spring. He taught undergraduate courses there and did research in probability theory. In the fall of 1983 he took a position in mathematics at the University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida. There he taught undergraduate and graduate courses while continuing his research in probability. Dr. Atkinson then moved to south Florida in the fall of 1985 to be the chair of the mathematics department at Palm Beach Atlantic College (now called Palm Beach Atlantic University); PBAU is a another Baptist university similar to Samford. He moved from PBAU to Samford University in fall 1995 to assume the duties of professor and chair of mathematics. While at Samford he has taught a wide range of courses, has mentored many undergraduate research projects in mathematics, and has continued his research. Professor Atkinson’s research interests have shifted to wavelets and real analysis as a result of his recent sabbatical at Vanderbilt University as a Visiting Scholar during fall 2006. His wife, Becky, is an Assistant Professor in the College of Education at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Dr. Atkinson has four sons. His hobbies are music (particularly the guitar), racquetball, and tennis.
- Probability Theory (Markov processes, random fields)
- Wavelets and Real Analysis
- Piecewise Polynomial Wavelets on a Quasicrystal Lattice. (co-authored with D. Bruff, J.S. Geronimo, and D.P. Hardin) (In preparation)
- Partially Orthogonal Sequences of Functions (undergraduate research project with Samford student, William Ward) (In preparation)
- An Elementary Derivation of the General Solution of Homogeneous Linear DE’s with Constant Coefficients. Alabama Journal of Mathematics, Vol. 21, No. 2, 15-20, (1997)
- Homogeneity for two-sided discrete Markov processes. E. Cinlar, K.L. Chung, R.K. Getoor, eds., Seminar on Stochastic Processes, 1987. Boston, Birkhauser (1988) 1-19.
- Two-sided Markov chains. Annals of Probability, Vol. 14, No. 2, 459-479, (1986).
- Two-sided time-homogeneous Markov processes. E. Cinlar, K.L. Chung, R.K. Getoor, eds., Seminar on Stochastic Processes, 1984. Boston, Birkhauser (1986) 1-22.
- A general theory approach to the construction of Markov processes. E. Cinlar, K.L. Chung, R.K. Getoor, eds., Seminar on Stochastic Processes, 1983. Boston, Birkhauser (1984) 1-16.
- On Dynkin's Markov property of random fields associated with symmetric processes. Stoch. Processes Appl. 15 (1983), 193-201.
- Germ fields and a converse to the strong Markov property. E. Cinlar, K.L. Chung, and R.K. Getoor, eds., Seminar on Stochastic Processes, 1982. Boston, Birkhauser (1983) 1-21.
- Applications of Revuz and Palm type measures for additive functionals in weak duality. (co-authored with J. Mitro) E. Cinlar, K.L. Chung, R.K. Getoor, eds., Seminar on Stochastic Processes, 1982. Boston, Birkhauser (1983) 23-49.
- Generalized strong Markov properties and applications. Z. Wahrsch. verw. Geb. 60 (1982), 71-78.
- Contributed two group projects and a number of exercises to Nagle, Saff, Snyder, Fundamentals of Differential Equations (7th ed.), Addison-Wesley, 2008 and Nagle, Saff, Snyder, Fundamentals of Differential Equations with Boundary Value Problems (5th ed.), Addison-Wesley, 2008.
- Piecewise Polynomial Wavelets on a Quasicrystal Lattice. Invited paper at the NSF sponsored conference on Harmonic Analysis and Related Fields, Auburn University, November 2008.
- An Introduction to Markovian Image Models. Invited paper at the meeting of the American Mathematical Society, University of Alabama at Huntsville, October 2008.
- Numerals Based on the Golden Ratio. Contributed paper at the meeting of the Mathematical Association of America, University of Wisconsin at Madison, August 2008.
- An Honest Treatment of Exponential Functions. Contributed paper at the meeting of the Alabama Association of College Teachers of Mathematics, Samford University, February 2008.
- Series of lectures on Fourier and wavelet analysis in the Physics seminar, Samford University. April 2007
- An Introduction to Markovian Image Models. Computational Analysis Seminar, Vanderbilt University, October 2006.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Mathematical Association of America (Chair of the Southeastern Section of the MAA beginning March 2009)
- Alabama Association of College Teachers of Mathematics